Minutes 4.15.08

Agenda

Tuesday April 15, 2008

6:30 p.m. Mills Library

I. Call to Order

II. Special Business                                               

III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns

  • Raney girls want their piano tuned up! They also have some issues with leaking sinks in the bathrooms. Dr. Hardin said she’d look into fixing up the pianos, and Lydia is taking care of the leaking sinks for all of the dorms (mainly couch and raney)!
  • If people have a physical plant order, they can put in a direct order instead of coming to a senate meeting and waiting for one of us to do the job.
  • Some students are still not receiving their senate notes for various reasons.
  • Checking out on time after finals is sometimes an issue, especially for students who have finals at 4:00 p.m. on the last day. BJ is going to talk with John Omolo about this, but it has been said that students need to make arrangements to be able to stay. Some students may not have enough time to make arrangements, especially if they are studying up until it is time on that last day.
  • If your doors get broken and then get fixed, don’t complain! It
  • Amnesty is having a screening called “Tibet Colon Cry of the Snow Lion” Thursday at 7:00 p.m. in Mills C. Contact Molly McGuire for more info (McGuireMF@hendrix.edu)

IV. Departmental Liaison Reports

  • Physical Plant: bike racks will be put in various places around campus! Tables and chairs will be put outside of Raney this summer as well. Can we get tables behind Front Street too? Lydia is on it.
  • Karl Lenser (WAC): he didn’t respond very well to us complaining about receiving too many e-mails from him… so we are going to try again!
  • Dining Services: more lasagna, Mac says!

V. Committee Reports

  • Multicultural Development Committee with James Murray and Ronni Laizure
    • Niger's Ambassador to Canada speaking in Mills A at 1:15 p.m. next Tuesday, April 22. Try to get your teachers to excuse you so you can attend. This is going to be a big deal!
  • Social Committee with Sam Jackson and Lin Poff
    • Juno shows tonight at 8:30 p.m. in the Burrow! 
  • Volunteer Action Committee with Katie Pratt
    • This Saturday Mike McAllister is leading a Service Saturday. Meet at the bell at 9:45 a.m. to go to a cemetery to do grounds-keeping work!
    • Filing is still open for VAC positions!!! Contact Katie Pratt (PrattKA@hendrix.edu
  • Media Committee with Megan Wooley and Fraser Holmes    
    • Profile comes out this Friday!!!
    • Megan and Fraser are reviewing people’s new and old applications for next year’s positions. They are talking with people to get the yearbook printed soon! 
  • Council on Residence Life with Bob Fureigh
    • Galloway Senator filing has closed and no one is representing…
  • Campus Kitty with Hina Mehta and Alex Graddy-Reed
    • Working on getting a week for next year picked! We’re working with Alumni Office to have it from April 3rd – 11th to avoid Easter weekend, but we’ll see!
  • Environmental Concerns Committee with Maggie McKinney, Wendell Cathcart and Katherine Roehm 
  • Academic Policy with Samantha Bode 
  • Student and Academic Concerns Committee with Jayce Hafner and Samantha Bode
    • Try to reinstate internship program to get students involved with positions around campus (provost, alumni relations, CLOYD, etc.)
    • Brainstorm ideas for another faculty appreciation event
    • Maybe have a STAFF appreciation day?  
  • Finance Committee with Alex Graddy-Reed ($8700 in discretionary)
    • Bike Revolution/Ultimate Frisbee light-up Frisbee game will be held on Friday, April 18 (NEXT FRIDAY!!!) and they want more money! They asked for $139.60 to get speakers from SoCo, taillights, maybe some body paint (to make it “wild”)? APPROVED: $139.60!!!
    • Veasey wants $500 for the Veasey Luau, a campus-wide event (THIS SATURDAY) in the Hulen Ballroom to pay for Public Safety. They already received a SIP grant. APPROVED: $500.00!!!
    • Proposals have to be e-mailed to Alex by 5:00 p.m. on Sunday to be discussed at the following Tuesday meeting
    • Budgets must be mailed to Alex by 5:00 p.m. this Friday
  • Communications Committee with Kristi Vo
    • We are looking at using a different megaphone (like Jay O’Neil’s) so the crier can just yell at the top of their lungs and get the announcements out. 
  • Committee on Committees with Nick Balée
    • Several Committee Appointments:
      • Blake Stroud for CoC, approved!
      • SoCo Appointments
        Director of Film and Special Events: Lydia Nash (see” PROBLEM” below)
        Music and Dance: Becca Leonard
        Sound and Logistics: John Martin
        Publicity: Rachel Kincannon
      • PROBLEM: Ken Yang said he was appointed as Director of Film and Special Events, but he later found out that he did not receive the position that he was offered and two days later it was denied and had to be re-interviewed. The Bylaws, Section VI… says his appointment was not unconstitutional. Ken’s past positions may show that he is highly qualified for any position that he puts his heart into becoming, but however people still look at his mistakes during serving as chair of this past year’s Welcome Week. He sincerely asked us to discuss the issue. Senate then goes into an executive session. After much debate and discussion, Lydia Nash is appointed as the new SoCo Director of Film and Special Events for the 2008-2009 school year. We are sorry, Ken, and we hope this does not happen again in the future. We encourage you to still apply to other positions; you are a highly qualified individual and a great person in general.
  • Other committee appointments have been approved, but the students still need to give their consent that they are able and willing. Nick will e-mail them and e-mail everyone else all the names once they consent!
  • Executive Committee with BJ Fogleman
    • Handling new and other appointments over e-mail! Please keep them confidential and reply promptly!
    • Jessica Sweat appointed and approved as chair for Senior Committee
    • Welcome Week is back! (It was motioned to be re-instated, and passed!) The Welcome Week Constitution was also approved. Casey Eddings has been appointed as Welcome Week Chair.
    • Shirttails alternate events
      Option 1: Separating the serenade from the dance, but still keeping the performance “Unified”. Those who participate in the serenade do not necessarily have to participate in the dance, but they may! This will hopefully make the serenade something the dorms will invest more in for the competition. The serenade rehearsal will not go over 2 hours every night.
      Option 2: Having an event (like a scavenger hunt, relays, movie nights, etc. as decided upon by SOC) every night that is competitive between dorms, and the cumulative score will go towards the dorm’s shirttail score on Saturday night.
      Option 3: Combination of 1 and 2. Allow freshers to decide how or if they want to participate in Shirttails as described in Option 1. On nights these freshmen do not practice, they and the ones who have chosen to not participate will be ensured that all can participate and attend as described in Option 2.
      àFaculty meeting is TOMORROW, so BJ will present Option 2 to show we have concrete ideas and won’t get rejected and return it to the Adhoc Shirttails committee with Becca Mayeux for rephrasing.
    • Create Adhoc committee to review constitution, chaired by Will Green with three other senate members as chosen by Will. 

MOTION WAS MADE TO ADJOURN SO MAC COULD WATCH JUNO… and it passes! 

VI. Unfinished Business

  • Tabled Constitutional Review Committee

VII. New Business 

VIII. Adjournment until April 22nd, 2008

Clean up:  Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior