Tuesday October 16, 2007
6:30 p.m. Mills Library
I. Call to Order
II. Special Business
- Welcome Dr. Shari Clarke
- Senator Resignation
- Lacey Gebhart officially resigned. Cache voted to not accept it.
- Filing for the newly opened Veasey Hall Senator has opened and will close next Tuesday, October 23, 2007.
III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns
- Laundry machines – the people who own them are going to go around, do a load of laundry in our machines, and then sniff. It’s called the “sniff” test.
- Drew asked if they would wash his clothes while they were at it. We’ll hear back from them
- Karl Lenser still hasn’t told us when he’ll be able to come talk to us.
- If we still get no response, Will Green is going to go over to his office himself.
- Request to get a card-swipe on Trieschmann because its on one of the remote ends of campus and dark too. It was suggested that some non-Hendrix students were in the basement where music-people rehearse and practice.
- Dr. Hardin says to report people like that in those situations, too.
- In the same manner, Mills is always open and pretty dark too; that is a little bit frightening.
- Dr. Hardin said that the cards have not been activated yet, but when they come by and activate them, then it should be safer.
- However, it’s a concern that some particular buildings will not be accessible 24/7. These discussions will come up when the card-readers begin working again.
IV. Departmental Liaison Reports
V. Committee Reports
- Multicultural Development Committee with James Murray
- November 1, 2007 – MISS office – Native American flute player in burrow from 4:00-5:00.
- In the next month, a documentary film from PBS called “Hip-Hop Beyond, Beats and Rhymes”. Event that is coming soon.
- Social Committee with Sam Jackson
- Going to NACA this week
- Trivia Night on the 25th.
- Winners will get a couch to sit in at the Walk-In Movie (with snacks too!)
- Walk-In movie is the 27th… Showing Superbad and Dark Side of the Moon
- November 3, 2007 – SOCO54!!!
- Media Committee with Megan Wooley
- Council on Residence Life with Robert Fureigh
- All the Hall Presidents have been notified about the clipboard progress. All the dorms are allowed to get them now.
- Chicken and Beer – next Tuesday. When A Man Loves A Woman… Chicken wings and root beer will be served.
- Campus Kitty with Hina Mehta
- Picking the theme at the meeting tonight.
- Environmental Concerns Committee with Maggie McKinney
- Bike Workshop on the 24th in the Brick Pit at 4:00.
- Serial Number identifications will be a process involved
- With Hendrix Bike Revolution, showing Pee Wee’s Big Adventure
- Academic Policy with Katie Pearce
- Student and Academic Concerns Committee with BJ Fogleman and Katie Pearce
- Finance Committee with Samantha Bode
- Discretionary Proposal for Newspapers to be in the Sun Porch
- Request for $690
- Debate concerning which newspapers should be subscribed to (and where they were already available on campus).
- Motion to strike adding a subscription of Arkansas Democratic Gazette (4 orders of a 6 month subscription totaling $288)… call for hands. 5 for aye, 6 nays…
- Motion to pass (in original form) is accepted. Given $690.
- Communications Committee with Lin Poff
- Committee on Committees with Shlok Vaidya
- Motion to add “by Committees on Committees” to the third RESOLVED fact. Motion accepted.
- Proposal for Welcome Week to not oversee Shirttails and for Shirttails to get its own committee. The proposal was accepted.
- Executive Committee with Will Green
VI. Unfinished Business
- All three members selected for the Student Life Committee for Shirttails have accepted
- Motion to recess to get copies of the contracts.
- Meeting called back to order.
- Back to Shirttails business
- “The choreographers must watch for any student exhibiting signs of potentially serious physical injury that may be worsened through practice, and must excuse them from the competition.” Amended portion of the Choreographers Contract
- “Any such injury must be examined by a medical professional before the student is allowed to return to practice. Consent by a medical professional is required in order for the student to return to practice for the competition.” Amended portion of the Choreographers Contract
- “Includes any touching of genital regions, buttocks, or breasts.” Amended portion of the Choreographers Contract
- “If a student is not comfortable performing a given move, choreographers must provide a variety of alternative dance moves.” Amended portion of the Choreographers Contract
- Motion to amend the 4th paragraph of the Hall Council Contract to read as the amended 8th paragraph of the Choreographers Contract. The motion was accepted.
- Motion to change the first sentence of the second paragraph of the Hall Council Contract to say: “Hall Councils may not harass, pressure, or coerce students into participating in Shirttails.” Motion approved.
- Motion to add “and conduct” after the word “attendance” in the second sentence of the first paragraph of the Hall Councils Contract. Motion approved.
- Motion to add “no open containers will be allowed at practices” at the end of the first paragraph of … somewhere on the Hall Councils Contract. It doesn’t matter, it failed in a 4-6 vote.
- Motion to add to the end of the second sentence of the first paragraph (as edited by Senate already) of the Hall Councils Contract “…and ensuring that all attendees are in compliance with current alcohol policies.” The motion passed.
- Motion to move the second and third sentence of the second paragraph from the Students Contract to the third paragraph, as well as make grammatical changes. Motion passed.
- Motion to strike “may be harmful” and insert “may put them at risk of injury” and to strike the fourth sentence of the second paragraph in the Students contract. Motion passed.
- Motion to add to the last sentence of the ninth paragraph “…excepting the Friday night practice which may be open by a majority vote by the participating first-year students.” Motion passed.
- Motion to add “I” to the last sentence of the next to last paragraph of the Students Contract AND to accept the document. Motion passed.
- Motion to accept all the contracts. Motion passed.
- Will Green will email a summary of what happens at the Faculty Meeting.
VII. New Business
- Senate retreat idea brought up by Dylan. We never had one and it would be good to have. Keep it mind, gang… think about if you want one and if
- Motion to make Dylan the chair of the Sub-Committee on Senate Retreat. Motion passed, he accepted.
- GHOST ROAST IS NEXT FRIDAY! (OCT. 26, 2007)
VIII. Adjournment until October 23, 2007
Clean up: Martin, Hardin, Couch