Tuesday October 9, 2007
6:30 p.m. Mills Library
I. Call to Order
II. Special Business
III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns
- Dylan with the A-Frame
- The new Dean will be moving in to A-Frame Apartments and will live there temporarily.
- Jacob Williams about Shirttails:
- Try to organize a forum for both students and teachers with a facilitator who is neither a student nor a teacher (Dr. Larson recommended).
- This way, faculty with problems will be forced to present them publicly and defend their opinions, as well as students in the vice versa role!
IV. Departmental Liaison Reports
- Lights in Martin Hall Circle had some illumination from Grove lighting…
- Shelby is going to push getting more lighting there.
- Will Green talked to Nurse Donna and Karl Lenser
- Lenser will get back with us and Donna gives notes.
V. Committee Reports
- Multicultural Development Committee with James Murray
- Social Committee with Sam Jackson
- October 25, 2007 – Trivia Night in Burrow
- October 27, 2007 – Dark Side of Oz Walk-In Movie (in Brick Pit)
- Another walk-in movie another night: vote ON the website (link)
- SoCo54 is November 3, 2007
- SoCo speakers (2) being sold for $150 per speaker
- Media Committee with Megan Wooley
- Aonian applications are out.
- Council on Residence Life with Robert Fureigh
- Beer and Chicken – Tuesday, October 23, 2007. Chicken and wings and root beer and movie When A Man Loves A Woman
- Bob is trying to get clipboards on the backs of stalls still
- Campus Kitty with Hina Mehta
- 5k run went off well and raised three times more than the haunted house last year.
- Environmental Concerns Committee with Maggie McKinney
- Dylan represented ECC tonight – “no report”
- Academic Policy with Katie Pearce
- Presented idea of contracts to faculty and mostly they were not impressed or on-board.
- Sexual harassment was also a topic of discussion
- Student and Academic Concerns Committee with BJ Fogleman and Katie Pearce
- The line “Any injury must be examined by a medical professional before he/she is allowed to practice” was added to the Choreographer Contract.
- The line “Choreographers should encourage students to rely on other first-year students for extra practice” was cut from the Choreographer Contract.
- The line “Any injury must be examined by a medical professional before he/she is allowed to practice” was added to the Hall Council Contract.
- The line “I realize that I may communicate to any official such as a Residence Life member (RA), a Dean, or any faculty member” was added to the Student Contract.
- The line “Signing this contract means I understand my rights concerning participation in Shirttails” was NOT added. The motion failed.
- Perhaps add stretching requirement (Shlok liked it)
- The contracts were all tabled and will be discussed next week.
- Finance Committee with Samantha Bode
- Discretionary Proposals
- Martin Hall – $825 granted
- No money was granted to Ben Lownik
- Communications Committee with Lin Poff
- Shirts have been designed and ordered: regular red t-shirts with the design on front and back as decided last meeting. (Wilbur’s face like a badge on the front with “A HENDRIX TRADITION” underneath it, and the Senate cup designs on the back with the accompanying phrases.)
- Committee on Committees with Shlok Vaidya
- Desire to split Welcome Week Committee and Shirttails Committee; came to a vote to give CoC the ability to work on this. Motion passed.
- Executive Committee with Will Green
- Student Life Committee – staff, faculty, and students will compose a new committee that will overlook the Shirttails issue. A vote will come together in February.
- Tonya, Rosemary, J.J. Whitney, Brook Owen
- Ann Muse, Amanda Moore, Mr. (Daniel?) Wayland
- Jayce Hafner, Bob Fureigh, Jamie Jennings
VI. Unfinished Business
- Senate Blasts!
- Senators receive Odyssey Credit for their work – Estes, Balee, Ritchey
- Student run Academic Integrity Board – Fogleman, Balee, Wheeler, Pearce
- Include Senate in student organization approval process – Vaidya, CoC
- Student on the Board of Trustees – Pote, Eddings, Green
- Reimbursement Policy – Bode, FinCom
- Shirttails Hearings – Moore, Hafner
- Rewards System – Hughes, Vaidya
- City Liaison Ramp up – Poff, ComCom
- Alumni Relations – Poff, ComCom
- Visitation Policy – Green
- Decorum – Moore
- Shelby’s responses to last week’s issues:
- All but one said keep Shirttails.
- Smoking? Enforce the current system or no ban needed at all.
- Everyone responded positively to biodegradable cups.
VII. New Business
VIII. Adjournment until October 16, 2007
Clean up: Veasey, Galloway, Raney