Minutes 10.2.2007

Agenda

Tuesday October 2, 2007

6:30 p.m. Mills Library

 

I. Call to Order

 

II. Special Business

                                                 

III. Announcements and Constituent Concerns

·         Physical Plant is upset about people tearing things off the walls in Martin.  However, the toilet seats on south-side first floor are going to be put back on.

·         Ryan was paranoid about being jumped while walking back from the WAC.

o       Ryan Hughes will talk to her department.

·         BJ described the lack of lighting in the Martin Circle parking lot.

o       Shelby will talk about lights with Public Safety.

·         Shelby asked about $5 cover charge for renting mountain bikes from the WAC.

o       Ryan will talk to her department about WAC charging students.

o       Maybe have Karl Lenser come in to talk about the WAC in next week’s meeting?  Will Green is going to look into it.

·         Nurse Donna gave notes out and it was taken advantage of.  Senate said we felt comfortable with her deciding whether or not she SHOULD give notes out.

o       Will Green is going to talk to Nurse Donna.

 

IV. Departmental Liaison Reports

·         When Ryan asked Karl about the parents using the WAC without the $10 charge, he said that he was basing the pricing system off of how the cafeteria operates (and charges) parents when they visit.

o       Ryan has the Mabee Center hours and will email them to me.  The best times for Mabee Center use should be discovered and presented.

·         Dylan asked about adding KHDX into the cafeteria music playlist.  The answer was a little uncertain of how the whole thing works; apparently it’s a satellite thing.  More to come on meal plans.

 

V. Committee Reports

 

  • Multicultural Development Committee with James Murray
    • Thursday in Burrow (Project Pericles Forum).  Debbie Bauer
    • MDC Block Party on October 6, 2007
  • Social Committee with Sam Jackson
    • October 25, 2007 – Trivia Night
    • October 27, 2007 – Walk-In Movie
    • Request for Pipe and Drape on November 3, 2007
    • Request for new chairs in SoCo office.
      • Sam will send the cost of chairs to Sam Bode
  • Media Committee with Megan Wooley
    • Managing Editor:  A.J. Berna
    • Associate Editor:  Hannah Sintek
    • Managing Editor is paid $1500, and Associate Editor is paid $1300… Request to make the pay for each position equal at $1400.
      • SALARY CHANGE:  $1400 for both
    • Friday, October 5, 2007 – first (online) Profile issue released.
  • Council on Residence Life with Robert Fureigh
  • Campus Kitty with Hina Mehta
    • General Committee picked:
      • Angela Bennett (Galloway), Sabrina Bowles (Alumni/Publicity), Amanda Brooks (Faculty), Casey Eddings (Hardin), Patrick Ford (Org. Liaison), Krista Goss (Athletics), Jen Imbro (Homeless Vigil), Stephen Jackson (Apts/Off-Campus), Leigh Ann Jensen (Raney), Alethea Morgan (Veasey), Katie Pearce (Homeless Vigil), Will Poff (Martin), Betsy Robb (Houses), Emily Uhar (Couch), Kristi Vo (Faculty).
    • Friday at 5 p.m. – KITTY RUNS WILD!
  • Environmental Concerns Committee with Maggie McKinney
    • Prices for new bike racks getting together to present to Physical Plant.
    • Co-sponsoring movie event with Hendrix Bike Revolution soon.
    • Asked about the completely biodegradable cups to possibly be used in the Burrow; it would cost more by about 10 cents per cup.  Perhaps a trial run would work better or we could make the change just happen.  Probably a trial run – please ask constituents about if the change in costs would bother too much.
    • Cigarette Clean-up Day is the Saturday after Fall Break.  Hopefully there will new ash trays to put around on the same day.
    • Driving Class is going to be an Odyssey Project.
  • Academic Policy with Katie Pearce
  • Student and Academic Concerns Committee with BJ Fogleman and Katie Pearce
    • Meeting this week to set up Shirttails contracts.
  • Finance Committee with Samantha Bode
    • Discretionary Proposal
      • Campus Kitty - $508.52
  • Communications Committee with Lin Poff
    • Shirts and boxers update?
    • Prices and hopefully a final draft to be present next week to Senate AND VOTED ON so they can be purchased.
  • Committee on Committees with Shlok Vaidya
    • Meeting Thursday 10/4 at 9 p.m.
  • Executive Committee with Will Green
    • Meetings set up for Sunday and Monday at 6 p.m. in the PDR (Private Dining Room behind the good food line in the cafeteria).  The estimated time will be about an hour.
      • Email Lin about when and why you can’t be there, please.  And if you would be so kind, email when you WILL be attending (so we can totally ensure that you have food).
    • October meeting with Mary Richardson about parliamentary procedure.
    • Senate has the power to RECOMMEND an increase in the Student Activity Fee; it has been discussed that perhaps the Senate should provide a proposal that will increase the fee and then provide for a 2% increase annually to go along with inflation.

 

VI. Unfinished Business

  • Probationary terms (approved)
    • No excused absences from Senate Committee meetings for a semester;
    • No excused absences from Standing Committee meetings for a semester;
    • No excused absences from Senate meetings for a semester;
    • No missed Senior Administration meetings for the remainder of his term;
    • No missed Executive Committee meetings for the remainder of his term;
    • No unexcused missed meetings for the remainder of his term;
    • Complete objectives as established in the minutes of the Senate meetings.
      • Any violation of these terms results in automatic impeachment (that means goes straight to trial).
  • Shirttails – Exec update
    • Contracts designed from Student Handbook, essentially; hopeful to be presented next week:
      • Students Contract
      • Hall Council Contract
      • Choreographer Contract
    • Possible contract violations could include point deduction or elimination from competition, among other ideas.
    • CoC will be working on redesigning the Welcome Week plans and Committee too.  Perhaps separating the two (a Shirttails week with its own committee?) or just doing away with Welcome Week.
    • Please email suggestions to both BJ and Shlok
  • Smoking – Dr. Hardin update
    • There are some faculty members who have allied together to try and eliminate smoking entirely from campus.
    • Student help and responses.  Tim, Dylan, Casey, Maggie, and Cache are interested in helping.
      • Constituents and Roundtables should know about these issues and responses are recommended.  Gather responses and send results to the 5 recommended senators above (Tim, Dylan, Casey, Maggie, and Cache).

 

VII. New Business

  • Parking will be taken away from the street perpendicular to Harkrider on Northside.  This
    • Cache will talk to Physical Plant about painting the red curbs again.
  • Brett Sokolow will be back in November to start doing focus groups.  If you have constituents interested in being in the focus groups, have them email Lin so he can present them to Dr. Hardin.
  • October 16, 2007 – in the Burrow at 4:00, Sheri Clarke will be arriving and coke floats will be available too.  Hang out, meet her, get the student body to meet her, etc.
  • Healthcare Survey is going to be up tonight.  A link will be sent to students; 3 prizes of $50 gas prizes… The survey ends Tuesday night at 6:30.
  • Dean Bailey leaves on the 12th of October; that is next Friday.  Perhaps a party on Wednesday for Dean Bailey.  Nevermind the party – card and a gift.

 

VIII. Adjournment until October 2, 2007

Clean up:  Houses, Apartments, Off-Campus