Hendrix Begins Columbarium Construction

Columbarium sketchCONWAY, Ark. (May 13, 2014) – Hendrix College recently started construction on Hendrix Memorial Garden on the south side of Greene Chapel.

The project will include a columbarium for alumni, faculty, staff, friends of the College and community members who choose Hendrix as their final resting place. 

The columbarium portion of the project will be installed later this summer.

“Hendrix Memorial Garden is located in a beautiful spot on campus and will be a peaceful and meaningful place for families and friends who come to visit the campus or remember their loved ones who are interred there,” said Hendrix Chaplain Rev. J. Wayne Clark, who will serve as curator of the Memorial Garden.

Hendrix Memorial Garden’s columbarium is a vertical octagonal structure made of granite with 96 niches – 12 niches on each of its eight sides. Each niche has room for two urns. 

Preference for interment in a columbarium is increasing, Clark added, noting that cremation and columbarium interment costs can be much less than traditional burial..

Cost for each niche is $2,500, including up to two urns and name engraving. Perpetual care is included in the purchase of a niche. The use of Greene Chapel for memorial services is also included, based on availability. Hendrix is offering a $500 pre-construction discount until July 1. 

For more information, visit www.hendrix.edu/memorialgarden/or contact Rev. Clark at 501-450-1263 or at clark@hendrix.edu.

Founded in 1876, Hendrix College is a national leader in engaged liberal arts and sciences education. For the sixth consecutive year, Hendrix was named one of the country’s “Up and Coming” liberal arts colleges by U.S. News and World Report.  Hendrix is featured in the latest edition of Colleges That Change Lives: 40 Schools That Will Change the Way You Think about Colleges, as well as the 2014 Princeton Review’s The Best 378 Colleges, Forbes magazine's list of America's Top Colleges, and the 2014 Fiske Guide to Colleges. Hendrix has been affiliated with the United Methodist Church since 1884. For more information, visit www.hendrix.edu.