A total immersion, intensive month studying French language andculture
Hendrix-in-Lyon is a Hendrix-Murphy Foundation program coordinated by Spanish professor Jose Vilahomat and German professor WayneOudekerk in association with the Modern Language Studies Abroad program (MLSA). The program is intended for students who have completed the equivalent of between two and four semesters of college French.
Students will attend classes at the Department of French as a Foreign Language at the Université de Lyon II.
The program consists of four weeks of intensive immersion in the language and culture. Classes run roughly from mid-June to mid-July.
Participants with a “C” or better in both Lyon courses will receive tow Hendrix course credits and a Global Awareness Odyssey credit. Under normal circumstances, only one of the two courses will count towards a French major or minor, but arrangements can be made with Dr. Cathy Jellenik for the second course credit to count towards the major. Please note that completion of the program does not fulfill the FL capacity for graduation.
- Guided excursion to Paris
- Visit to Avignon
- 4-week urban transportation pass
- MLSA administrative staff at residence and university
- Orientation at beginning of program
- Access to university libraries and other facilities
- Shared apartments in Lyon with all facilities
- Themed cultural visits to Lyon
- Optional excursions are also available for students at reasonable prices
- Application fee to MLSA: $100
- $300 participation fee
- Round-trip airfare: approximately $1,500 (through discount websites or agents)
- Eight passport photos: $30
- Meals and pocket money: approx. $1000
- Additional Lyon II transcripts: $20
Pending final approval of the program by the Hendrix -Murphy Foundation, students selected will receive scholarships covering the full MLSA program costs.
- Students interested in the Hendrix-in-Lyon program should apply to the Office of International Programs by Monday November 5, 2012.
- Once approved by the Hendrix International/Intercultural Studies Committee (usually by early December), students will apply to Hendrix-in-Lyon through Wayne Oudekerk, who will be coordinating the program in Summer 2013. Each student will be asked to present a letter of intention and three letters of reference.
- Notification of acceptance into the Hendrix-in-Lyon program will be made early in 2013. If selected, students then apply to MLSA through a form which is found on at www.mlsa.com .