A total immersion, intensive month studying French language and culture
Hendrix-in-Tours (France) is a Hendrix-Murphy Foundation program coordinated by Spanish professor Jose Vilahomat aFrench professor WayneOudekerk in association with the Modern Language Studies Abroad program (MLSA). The program is intended for students who have completed the equivalent of between two and four semesters of college French.
Students will attend classes at Tours Langues.
The program consists of four weeks of intensive immersion in the language and culture. Classes will be held the month of July.
Participants with a “C” or better in both Tours courses will receive two Hendrix course credits and a Global Awareness Odyssey credit. Under normal circumstances, only one of the two courses will count towards a French major or minor, but arrangements can be made with Dr. Cathy Jellenik for the second course credit to count towards the major. Please note that completion of the program does not fulfill the FL capacity for graduation.
- Orientation at beginning of program
- Students will live with French families
- Weekend in Paris
- Visit to several châteaux (one by bike!)
- Cooking classes
- Trip to Mont St. Michel
- Tour of a vineyard
- Attend Garlic festival
- Themed cultural visits of Tours (Roman ruins, etc.)
- Optional excursions are also available for students at reasonable prices
- Application fee to MLSA: $100
- $300 participation fee
- Round-trip airfare: approximately $1,500 (through discount websites or agents)
- Eight passport photos: $30
- Meals and pocket money: approx. $1000
- Additional transcripts: $20
Pending final approval of the program by the Hendrix -Murphy Foundation, students selected will receive scholarships covering the full Tours Langues tuition plus room and board.
- Students interested in the Hendrix-in-Tours program should apply to the Office of International Programs by Monday November 11, 2013.
- Once approved by the Hendrix International/Intercultural Studies Committee (usually by early December), students will apply to Hendrix-in-Tours through Dr. Cathy Jellenik, who will be coordinating the program in Summer 2014. Each student will be asked to present a letter of intention and three letters of reference.
- Notification of acceptance into the Hendrix-in-Lyon program will be made early in 2014. If selected, students then apply to MLSA through a form which is found on at www.mlsa.com .