Last Updated: Friday, August 10, 2012
found this helpful.
These instructions are for the Microsoft Wireless Client that is included in Windows XP. This covers the majority of the wireless clients that students are using. Apple users will use the same technologies and protocols, although they are “packaged” in a different way.
The following setup only has to be performed the first time you connect to the Hendrix Student Wireless Network. You can only follow these instructions while on the Hendrix College campus (within range of the student wireless network
Items to check before you begin
- Ensure that you have a wireless network card, and if it has an antenna that it is in the proper position.
- Ensure that you are using the Windows Zero Configuration utility. If you are using another wireless configuration utility, these instructions will not work. If you are unsure whether you are using Windows Zero Configuration, please check this article before you begin.
Connecting to the Wireless Network
For a larger version of any of the screenshots below, click on the picture.
- Go to "Start" --> "Connect to" --> "Show All Connections".
- Find the "Wireless Network Connection", right-click on the icon and select "Properties".
- Select the "Wireless Networks" tab and press the "Add" button.
- Under the "Association" tab, enter the following information:
SSID: hndrxstdnt (case sensitive)
Network Authentication: WPA
Data Encryption: TKIP
- Select the "Authentication" tab. In the "EAP type" dropdown box, select Protected EAP (PEAP), then select the "Properties" button just beneath it.
- In the "PEAP Properties" window, uncheck the “Validate server certificate” option. Now, ensure that “Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)” is selected in the dropdown box and press the "Configure…" button.
- In the "EAP MSCHAP v2 Properties" window, uncheck the “Automatically use my Windows logon name and password (and domain if any)" option.
- Press “OK” in each of the successive dialog boxes until you are out of the configuration dialog.
- A logon box will now appear. Enter the following information:
User Name: assigned username from IT
Password: enter your password
Logon Domain: STUDENTS
- Press "OK". This completes the setup. You should now be on the Hendrix Student wireless network.