Assistant Professor of Chemistry
||Reynolds Hall 109
- Postdoctoral Fellow, The University of Texas at Austin
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin
- B.S. magna cum laude, Ball State University
My research group develops new chemical methodologies to form carbon-carbon bonds. We are particularly interested in processes that use minimal energy inputs, occur catalytically, and produce minimal waste. Ultimately, these methods will be applied to synthesize biologically relevant natural products. Natural products are small molecules encoded by genetics and selected by nature to interact with macromolecules such as proteins. These molecules have the potential to serve as leads for the development of new medicines and therapeutics.
The most important outcome of research in my lab is for students to learn to think critically and become skilled at solving complex "real-world" problems. Students will learn to design and troubleshoot experiments, search the primary scientific literature, and will gain hands-on experience with analytical instrumentation, including NMR, IR, and GC/MS.
- Single Investigator Cottrell College Science Award, Research Corporation for Science Advancement
- National Institutes of Health Chemistry-Biology Interface Trainee, UW-Madison
- Samuel L. McElvain Fellowship, UW-Madison
- Marvin, C. C. "Synthesis of Amines and Ammonium Salts," submitted.
- Mathis, C. L.; Gist, B. M.; Frederickson, C. K.; Midkiff, K. M.; Marvin, C. C. "Visble light photooxidative cyclization of amino alcohols to 1,3-oxazines," Tetrahedron Lett. 2013, in press. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tetlet.2013.02.031.
- Marvin, C. C.; Voight, E. A.; Suh, J. M.; Paradise, C. L.; Burke, S. D."Synthesis of Didemniserinolipid B: Application of a 2-Allyl-4-fluorophenyl Auxiliary for Relay Ring-Closing Metathesis," J. Org. Chem. 2008, 73, 8452-8457. Link: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo801666t
- Marvin, C. C.; Clemens, A. J. L.; Burke,S. D. "Synthesis of Thromboxane B2 via Ketalization/Ring-Closing Metathesis," Org.Lett. 2007, 9, 5353-5356. Link: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ol7021214
- Featured in Synfacts 2008, 5, 441.
- Marvin, C. C.; Voight, E. A.; Burke, S.D. "Synthesis of (+)-Didemniserinolipid B via Ketalization/Ring-Closing Metathesis," Org. Lett. 2007, 9, 5357-5359. Link: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ol702454m
- Featured in Org. Chem. Highlights2008, June 2. URL:http://www.organic-chemistry.org/Highlights/2008/02June.shtm
- Featured in Synfacts 2008, 5, 442.
- Hassani, M.; Cai, W.; Holley, D.C.; Lineswala, J. P.; Maharjan, B. R.; Ebrahimian, G.R.; Seradj, H.; Stocksdale, M. G.; Mohammadi, F.; Marvin, C. C.; Gerdes, J. M.; Beall, H. D.; Behforouz, M."Novel Lavendamycin Analogues as Antitumor Agents: Synthesis, in Vitro Cytotoxicity, Structure-Metabolism, and Computational Molecular Modeling Studies with NAD(P)H:Quinone Oxidoreductase 1," J. Med. Chem.2005, 48, 7733-7749. Link: http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jm050758z
Recent Grants and Proposals
- "Visible Light Photocatalytic Oxidation of Amines to Iminium Ions: Amine Scope and Mannich Cyclizations with Allyl and Vinyl Silanes," Research Corporation for Science Advancement, Single Investigator Cottrell College Science Award Program, Funded July 2012. $35,000.
- "MRI: Acquisition of a 400 MHz NMR Spectrometer to Enhance Faculty and Undergraduate Research at Hendrix College," Thomas Goodwin, Christopher Marvin, and Andres Caro, National Science Foundation, Funded April 2010. $274,364.
- CHEM 240 - Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 250 - Organic Chemistry II
- CHEM 100 - Concepts of Chemistry
- CHEM 450 - Directed Research
- American Chemical Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Arkansas Academy of Science