- Small classes
- Excellent facilities
- Award-winning faculty
- Modern instrumentation
- Undergraduate research
- Over $1 million in current funding
These are just a few of the reasons why graduates from the Chemistry Department at Hendrix College excel in research, medicine, politics, law, education, public service, industry, and many other rewarding careers. The department is approved by the American
Committee on Professional Training for providing a “broad-based and rigorous chemistry education that gives students intellectual, experimental, and communication skills to become effective scientific professionals”.
Learn to think
Our research-rich curriculum is designed to help students become independent, thinking leaders in science. This is accomplished through experience with first-class instruments at even the introductory level, group projects, and inquiry-based assignments.
Participation in faculty sponsored research solidifies this education. Hendrix is special because we help students "become themselves" by tailoring our academic program to their interests. This program is designed to help students become life-long, creative
problem solvers using chemistry. To this end, the program helps students to acquire the fact-based knowledge necessary to understand chemistry as citizens and practice it as scientists,
- design and execute laboratory experiments,
- develop the critical thinking skills necessary to assess and assemble facts and data,
- work effectively individually and in groups,
- communicate chemistry effectively in written and oral forms, and
- assess the ethical implications of their work and its impact on our society and environment.
Dr. Liz Gron
Department of Chemistry, Chair