Dictionaries and Handbooks
- Political Dictionaries
- Palgrave Macmillon Dictionary of Political Thought
R 320.03 Scr84p3
Almanacs and Statistics
- International Encyclopedia of Social & Behav. Sciences
R 300.3 In8si
- Encyclopedia of Human Rights
R 323.403 En19w2
- Encyclopedia of the U. N. & International Agreements
R 341.2303 Os5e3
Encyclopedias (U. S.)
- Encyclopedia of Democracy
R 321.803 En19L
- Encyclopedia of Politics and Religion
R 322.103 En19w
- American Presidential Campaigns and Elections
R 324.973 Am35s
- Encyclopedia of the American Constitution
R 342.7302303 En19L2
- Guide to the U.S. Supreme Court
R 347.7326 C76c4
- Encyclopedia of American Law
R 348.7303 W529w
- Guide to the Presidency
R 353.0313 C76n4
- Public Papers of the Presidents
- Census Documents
- Statistical Abstract of the U.S. (1880-2012)
- U.S. Supreme Court Reports
- Foreign Relations of the United States (1864-1976)
- U.S. Treaties & Other International Agreements (1776-1984)
- These are BOOK databases – like Amazon.com for libraries!
- Keyword: most flexible, most results: politic*.
- Subject: more restrictive, categories, works like an index, idea farm. Start
with political science or politics and go from there.
- Title: more restrictive, have precise titles, works like an index.
- Modify/Limit: limit by language or location. Ex.: media center
Service of the U.S. Government Printing Office that provides free electronic access
to information produced by the federal government.
LexisNexis/ProQuest Congressional (1980s-present)
Online legislative and regulatory service that provides access to full text of
congressional bills and resolutions, reports and documents, bibliographic information
to hearings, biographical and voting information for members of Congress, full text
of the Federal Register, and full text of the Congressional Record
- Advanced Search, available on the side menu, allows better ways to control
and limit your search
- “Members and Committees” allows an easy way to identify members of Congress
and how they have voted.
- “Political News” includes the Washington Post.
Social Sciences Full Text (1983-present)
Social Sciences indexes nearly 850 journals and includes political science. Some
full text is provided.
- Use the advanced search for more searching options.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings, and ? to account for
variant spellings. Ex.: Chin* retrieves China, Chinese, etc.
- Boolean/Phrase search mode requires “AND” to break your search terms.
- Use the indexes to search for journal titles, subject terms, and authors.
A largely full-text, social sciences database that covers complete runs of scholarly
periodicals, including 161 political science journals. MAY NOT BE CURRENT!
- Use the Advanced Search.
- Select whichever disciplines that are relevant to your research, noting
that you decide whether or not JSTOR includes citations and links to other content.
- Use the drop-down menu to connect search terms: AND, OR, and NEAR.
- Use “*” to account for variant word endings.
- Use quotes to search phrases: (“Latin America” OR “South America”) and leader*
Full text of nearly 200 scholarly journals published by university presses in the
humanities and social sciences.
- Advanced Search allows better searching options.
- Limit to research area, author, content type, or language.
- Use truncation (*) on the end of a term to search for plurals or parts of
- Deselect the "Only content I have full access to" for more citations.
Remember that you can use
interlibrary loan to get books and articles that we and UCA don’t have. Check
List as well as UCA’s catalog,
UCA’s Journals List first. Use our
interlibrary loan forms to order your materials.
Facts on International Relations and Security Trends (FIRST)
Factual reference system on international security trends. Covers conflicts, arms
transfers and military expenditure, hard facts on states and international organizations,
economic and social statistics and chronologies.
Analyzes complex demographic data and research to provide up-to-date population
World Press Review
Guide to the international press, featuring translations from thousands of newspapers
in more than 20 languages.
CIA World Factbook
Provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications,
transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities.
Fourth World Journal
Ideas and analysis about and by writers from some of the world's more than 6,000
Fourth World nations.
Human Rights Web Archive
From Columbia University, preserves web publications and sites that are at risk
Think Tank Search
From Harvard's Kennedy School of Government's library.