Print indexes on first floor:
- Book Review Digest (1905-present)
- Book Review Index (1965-present)
Newspapers & Microfilm
Arkansas Democrat 1898-1991 Mechanics' Free Press
Arkansas Gazette 1828-1991 Pennsylvania Gazette 1728-1815
American Revolution in Context American Women’s Diaries
Register of Debates in Congress 1825-1838 Congressional Globe 1833-1873
Records of Ante-Bellum Southern Plantations
- Keyword: most flexible, most results
- Subject: more restrictive, categories, drops you in an index Ex.: renaissance
- Title: more restrictive, have precise titles, drops you in an index.
- Use “*” on the end of your word to pick up different endings. Ex: Africa* and slav*
- Click on call numbers to browse the shelf where your book is located.
- Pay attention to subject headings!
The world’s online catalog. Use this database to find books that have been published...period.
- Select “Subject” or “Subject Phrase” from the drop-down menu to narrow your searching.
- Pay attention to subject headings when you look at your results!
- Limit to type of material, language, and audience where appropriate.
- Use the index button to find an alphabetical lists, and use the subject headings button to browse the list of subject headings based on a term or concept.
- Use “*” on the end of your term to pick up different endings.
- Use quotes to search your terms as a phrase.
- Click on the “Libraries worldwide that own item” to see whether or not UCA owns it (anything Hendrix owns displays this symbol: ).
America History and Life or Historical Abstracts
Contains citations and abstracts to articles and books covering world history. These databases contain some full text, but if you retrieve only a citation, check our Journals List to see if we have the journal.
- Use the advanced search for more searching options.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings, and ? to for variant spellings. Ex.: slav* retrieves slavery, slaves, etc. wom?n retrieves woman and women
- Boolean/Phrase search mode requires “AND” to break your search terms.
- Limit by Historical Period and Language.
- Search using the subject terms "historiography" and "literature review."
A largely full-text, social sciences database that covers complete runs of scholarly periodicals, but NOT the most current 2-5 years!
- Use the Advanced Search.
- Select whichever disciplines/journals are relevant to your searching, noting that you decide whether or not JSTOR includes citations and links to other content.
- Use the drop-down menu for options to connect search terms: and, or, near.
- Use “?” on the end of your term to account for plurals, and “*” to account for variant word endings.
- Use quotes to search phrases. Ex.: “civil rights” AND “united states”
Full text of nearly 200 scholarly journals published by university presses in the humanities and social sciences.
- Limit to books or journals on the initial search, if desired.
- Limit to research area, author, or language after you've performed a search.
- Use truncation (*) on the end of a term to search for plurals or parts of words.
- Deselect the "Only content I have full access to" for more citations.
Primary Source Library Databases:
- Historical Statistics of the United States (1790-2000)
Online version of the Millennial Edition of Historical Statistics of the United States. Covers the social, economic, political and geographic data collected by the Census Bureau and other agencies of the United States government.
- Making of America
Check our Catalog and Journals List to see if we have access to books and journals. If we don’t have the book or journal you need, please check UCA’s catalog, BearCat, and Journals List. If they don’t have what you need, you can always order your article through interlibrary loan. See a librarian for more information.
Last Modified on 9/17/2012