Reference materials will give you background information on a topic, and direction as to where to research next. The following resources may be helpful.
R 150.3 En19k Encyclopedia of Psychology (APA)
R 150.3 En19r Encyclopedia of Human Behavior
R 153 C738b A Companion to Cognitive Science
R 153.103 En19s Encyclopedia of Learning and Memory
R 153.03 B568e Dictionary of Cognitive Psychology
We have several books that list and review tests:
R 016.1512 B937m The Mental Measurements Yearbook
R 016.37126 B937t6 Tests in Print VI
R 150.287 C738h Comprehensive Handbook of Psychological Assessment
R 152.287 En19f Encyclopedia of Psychological Assessment
You may not want to search for books on your topic, since PsycINFO covers chapters and books from 1987 to the present. Check the currency of the material you find in our catalog.
- Keyword – most flexible, gives most results.
- Subject and Title – more restrictive, work like browsing indexes.
Springer eBooks (2005-2012)
Search 30,000 eBooks in the areas of the sciences, including biomedical and life science, environmental science, and medicine.
- Results are displayed as book chapters.
- View and download the PDFs to your device, print, or email.
- Bailey's access includes books published between the years 2005-2012.
Annual Reviews (1996-present)
Critical reviews written by the leading scientists in the biomedical, physical, and social sciences which give an annual look at the most significant primary research literature within a broad spectrum of scientific disciplines.
- Available for check-out (find using the online catalog), or accessible online website.
- Browse the Psychology Annual Reviews or Perform an Advanced Search.
- When using the advanced search, click the radio button “in selected journals” to select the relevant annual reviews.
- If you can’t access the full text on the website, check our online catalog, or order via interlibrary loan.
PsycINFO contains citations and summaries of journal articles, book chapters, books, dissertations, and technical reports in the field of psychology. Journal coverage spans from 1887-present, and includes material selected from more than 2,500 periodicals written in nearly 30 languages.
- Use the advanced search for more searching options.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings. Ex.: environment* retrieves environmental, environmentalist, etc.
- Boolean/Phrase search mode requires “AND” to break your search terms.
- To narrow your search use the limit your results section displayed below the search box. Hint: Automatically limit to English unless you want to retrieve multi-lingual publications.
Thesaurus and Indexes:
- The thesaurus is an alphabetical list of all terms, called subject headings or descriptors, PsycINFO uses to index records. Use the thesaurus to look up synonyms, related terms, and preferred terms.
- The indexes allow you to look up, select, and search for variations of a term. This is useful if you are uncertain of the spelling of a term (such as a name) or how the terms appear in the database.
- The cited references index allows you to see how many times an article is cited in PsycINFO, and links you to those articles.
This American Psychological Association (APA) full text article database contains the full text of articles from 80 APA journals and selected EPF (Educational Publishing Foundation) journals.
- Boolean searches (AND, OR, NOT) must use all caps.
- OR: family OR stress retrieves records containing either “family,” “stress,” or both.
- AND: family AND stress retrieves records that contain both “family” and “stress.”
- Phrases: “family stress” retrieves the exact phrase.
- Limit: limit as you see fit to narrow your searching.
- + and - : will add or delete search boxes.
- Truncation: the symbol (*) attached to the end of the word will retrieve all different endings to that word. Ex: trauma* retrieves trauma, traumas, and traumatic.
Journals List & Interlibrary Loan
For a complete list of which journals Bailey Library has, check out our Journals List. If we don’t have the journal you need, check UCA’s Journals List. If they don’t have it, order your article on interlibrary loan!
Last Modified on 9/29/2012