Cultural Anthropology: 300s
Latin America: 970s & 980s
Encyclopedia of World Cultures
R 301.297 En19h
Women in Today's World
R 305.403 En19s
Encyclopedia of Cultural Anthropology
R 305.803 En19L
Historical Atlas of Central America
Ref Atlas 911.728 H14h
Atlas of Ancient America
R 970 C65a
Encyclopedia of Mexico
R 972.003 En19w
Oxford Encyclopedia of Mesoamerican Cultures
R 972.01 Ox2c
Latin American History and Culture
R 980.003 En19t
New Iberian World
R 980.01 N42p
Annual Review of Anthropology (301.205 An78a)
- Critical articles reviewing significant developments in anthropology.
- Available for check-out, or accessible online via the website or JSTOR.
- Search and view table of contents, abstracts, and full text on the web at:
(http://baileylib.hendrix.edu & WorldCat!)
- These are BOOK databases - like the Amazon.com for libraries!
- Keyword: most flexible, most results: (Latin or Central or South or Mexico) and America* and anthropol*
- Subject: more restrictive, categories, works like an index, idea farm. Start with Latin America and go from there!
- Title: more restrictive, have precise titles, works like an index.
- Modify/Limit: limit by language or location. Ex.: media center
Likely subject headings:
Indians of [Location]
Indians of Central America
Indians of Mexico
Ethnographic Video Online
A collection of over 1,000 films covering the study of human culture and behavior worldwide. The collection features the work of documentary filmmakers of the 20th century, including interviews, previously unreleased raw footage, field notes, and study guides.
- Browse or use the Advanced Search for more options.
- Find the subject terms by clicking on the “select terms” links.
- Filter results by selecting format, content type, ethnic group, etc. on the right-hand menu.
AnthroSource, developed by the American Anthropological Association (AAA), is a searchable online database of 32 AAA journals, with links to archival content at JSTOR. Except for Anthropology News, AnthroSource indexes current issues for the AAA's most critical peer-reviewed publications.
- Use the Advanced Search option.
- Take note of the search box options for phrase and “and” searching.
- No truncation, so use “At least one of the words” search box.
- Check out fancier options: References and Citation Tracking are available from the “HTML Version and More Information” link.
A largely full-text, social sciences database that covers complete runs of scholarly periodicals. MAY NOT BE CURRENT!
- Select whichever disciplines that are relevant to your research.
- Use the Advanced Search.
- Use the drop-down menu to connect search terms: AND, OR, and NEAR. Ex: education AND bilingual or dual language
- Use “?” on the end of your term to account for plurals, and “*” to account for variant word endings.
- Use quotes to search phrases. Ex.: “Tzotzil Maya"
SocINDEX indexes over 4,500 journals, as well as conference papers, dissertations, book reviews, and sociology books. This database covers sociological topics in fields such as anthropology, economics, education, medicine, community development, philosophy, demography, political science, and social psychology. Some full text is provided.
- Use the advanced search for more searching options.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings, and ? to account for variant spellings. Ex.: Mexic* retrieves Mexico, Mexican, etc. wom?n retrieves woman and women
- Boolean/Phrase search mode requires “AND” to break your search terms.
- Use the indexes to search for journal titles, subject terms, and authors.
- Check our online Journals List to see if we carry the journal.
Full text of nearly 200 scholarly journals published by university presses in the humanities and social sciences.
- Limit to books or journals on the initial search, if desired.
- Limit to research area, author, or language after you've performed a search.
- Use truncation (*) on the end of a term to search for plurals or parts of words.
- Deselect the "Only content I have full access to" for more citations.
Remember that you can use interlibrary loan to get books and articles that we and UCA don’t have. Check our Catalog and Journals List as well as UCA’s catalog, BearCat, and UCA's Journals List first. Use our interlibrary loan forms to order your materials.
Oxford Guide to Countries of the World
CIA World Factbook
U.S. Army's Country Studies
U.S. State Department's Background Notes and Country Information
Britannica Image Quest (for images)
Last Modified on 8/29/2012