Cultural Anthropology & Ethnology: 300s
Dictionary of Concepts in Cultural Anthropology
R 301.203 W737d
Encyclopedia of World Cultures
R 301.297 En19h
Encyclopedia of Cultural Anthropology
R 305.803 En19L
Handbook of Methods in Cultural Anthropology
R 305.8 H191b
R 305.8 L578e
An Ethnohistorical Dictionary of China
R 305.800951 OL8e
Handbook of North American Indians
R 970.00497 H191s
International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behav. Sciences
R 300.3 In8si
Encyclopedia of Sociology
R 301.03 En19b2
The Blackwell Dictionary of Sociology
R 301.03 J63b2
Annual Review of Sociology (301.05 An78) & Anthropology (301.205 An78a)
(http://baileylib.hendrix.edu & WorldCat!)
- These are BOOK/EBOOK databases - like the Amazon.com for libraries!
- Keyword: most flexible, most results: ethnograph*
- Subject: more restrictive, categories, works like an index, idea farm. Start with anthropology or sociology or ethnology and go from there!
- Title: more restrictive, have precise titles, works like an index.
- Modify/Limit: limit by language or location. Ex.: media center
Ethnographic Video Online
A collection of over 1,000 films covering the study of human culture and behavior worldwide. The collection features the work of documentary filmmakers of the 20th century, including interviews, previously unreleased raw footage, field notes, and study guides.
- Browse or use the Advanced Search for more options.
- Find the subject terms by clicking on the “select terms” links.
- Filter results by selecting format, content type, ethnic group, etc. on the right-hand menu.
AnthroSource, developed by the American Anthropological Association (AAA), is a searchable online database of 32 AAA journals, with links to archival content at JSTOR. Except for Anthropology News, AnthroSource indexes current issues for the AAA's most critical peer-reviewed publications.
- Use the Advanced Search option.
- Take note of the search box options for phrase and “and” searching.
- No truncation, so use “At least one of the words” search box.
- Check out fancier options: References and Citation Tracking are available from the “HTML Version and More Information” link.
A largely full-text, social sciences database that covers complete runs of scholarly periodicals. MAY NOT BE CURRENT!
- Select whichever disciplines that are relevant to your research.
- Use the Advanced Search.
- Use the drop-down menu to connect search terms: AND, OR, and NEAR. Ex: education AND bilingual or dual language
- Use “?” on the end of your term to account for plurals, and “*” to account for variant word endings.
- Use quotes to search phrases. Ex.: “male circumcision” AND america* or "united states"
SocINDEX indexes over 4,500 journals, as well as conference papers, dissertations, book reviews, and sociology books. This database covers sociological topics in fields such as anthropology, economics, education, medicine, community development, philosophy, demography, political science, and social psychology. Some full text is provided.
- Use the advanced search for more searching options.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings, and ? to account for variant spellings. Ex.: Chin* retrieves China, Chinese, etc. wom?n retrieves woman and women
- Boolean/Phrase search mode requires “AND” to break your search terms.
- Use the indexes to search for journal titles, subject terms, and authors.
- Check our online Journals List to see if we carry the journal.
Full text of nearly 200 scholarly journals published by university presses in the humanities and social sciences.
- Limit to books or journals on the initial search, if desired.
- Limit to research area, author, or language after you've performed a search.
- View subject headings on the right-hand side within the individual records of your results.
- Use truncation (*) on the end of your term to search for plurals or parts of words.
- Deselect the "Only content I have full access to" for more citations.
Remember that you can use interlibrary loan to get books and articles that we and UCA don’t have. Check our Catalog and Journals List as well as UCA’s catalog, BearCat, and UCA's Journals List first. Use our interlibrary loan forms to order your materials.
Last Modified on 2/01/2013