Encyclopedia of Psychology R 150.3 En19c2
Encyclopedia of Human Behavior R 150.3 En19r
Grzimek's Encyclopedia of Ethology R 591.5 G929g
The Oxford Companion to Animal Behavior R 591.5 Ox2m
Encyclopedia of Animal Behavior R 591.503 En27b
Animal Behavior Desk Reference R 591.503 B279a
Grzimek’s Encyclopedia Mammals R 599 G929g
Encyclopedia of Human Biology R 612.03 En1
Dictionary of Animal Behaviour
Animals: A Visual Encyclopedia
These subject headings will bring “sure success” when searched in the keyword or subject heading categories:
- Keyword: most flexible, most results
- Subject: more restrictive, categories, works like an index, idea farm.
- Title: more restrictive, have precise titles, works like an index.
- Modify/Limit: limit by language or location. Ex.: reference
General Science (1982-present)
General Science is a good place to start looking for articles. This database contains a mixture of popular and scholarly sources. A portion of this database is full text. Searching hints:
- Select “General Science Full Text.”
- If the “All - Smart Search” doesn’t work, try “Keyword” search instead.
- For more relevant articles, try limiting your search to “Feature Article” or “Review Article” under the Document Type menu.
- Use truncation (*).
BIOSIS Previews (2000-present)
BIOSIS Previews is the online version of BIOSIS containing citations to current research, 2000-present.
- Use the “Search” option (not the “Advanced Search” option).
- Use AND: migration and snow geese
- Use OR: sexual selection or mating.
- Use the “Search History” link to combine searches.
- Use truncation (*).
- Limit searching by major concept, language, document type, and literature type.
PsycINFO, a database produced by the American Psychological Association, is the premier research tool in psychology. PsycINFO contains citations and summaries of journal articles, book chapters, books, dissertations, and technical reports in the field of psychology.
- Use the basic search mode.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings, and ? to account for variant spellings.
- Boolean/Phrase search mode requires “AND” to break your search terms.
- Limit to English.
- Use the indexes to search for journal titles, subject terms, and author information.
JSTOR (not current)
A largely full-text, social sciences database that covers complete runs of scholarly periodicals. MAY NOT BE CURRENT!
- Use the Advanced Search.
- Select whichever disciplines that are relevant to your research, noting that you decide whether or not JSTOR includes citations and links to other content.
- Use the drop-down menu to connect search terms: AND, OR, and NEAR.
- Use “?” on the end of your term to account for plurals, and “*” to account for variant word endings.
- Use quotes to search phrases. Ex.: "sexual selection" AND "bighorn sheep"
Journals List & Interlibrary Loan
For a complete list of which journals Bailey Library has, check out our Journals List. If we don’t have the journal you need, check UCA’s Journals List. If they don’t have it, order your article on interlibrary loan!
Last Modified on 9/12/2011