Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy R100 R765c
See entries under: Evolution, Theory of; Genetics; Molecular Biology; Species; Science, Philosophy of; Religion and Science (Nancey Murphy); Taxonomy; Vitalism
Encyclopedia of Psychology R150.3 En19k
See entries under: Religion and Psychology (Stanton L. Jones); Religion and Psychotherapy; Religious Experience – Belief and Faith
Encyclopedia of Bioethics R174.2 En19r2
See entries under: Ethics – Religion and Morality; Environment and Religion; Healing; Mental Health – Mental Health and Religion
Encyclopedia of Religion R200.3 En19e
See entries under: Science and Religion (Stanley L. Jaki); Artificial Intelligence; Evolution; Neuroepistemology
Sampling from Main Collection (upstairs)
Biotheology: a New Synthesis of Science and Religion 215 C314b
The Faith of Biology and the Biology of Faith 296.375 P76f
Cambridge Companion to the Philosophy of Biology 570.1 C144h
These subject headings will bring “sure success” when searched in the keyword or subject heading categories:
Biology religious aspects
Evolution religious aspects
Human ecology religious aspects
Nature religious aspects
Religion and science
- Keyword: most flexible, most results
- Subject: more restrictive, categories, works like an index, idea farm.
- Title: more restrictive, have precise titles, works like an index.
- Modify/Limit: limit by language or location. Ex.: reference
Databases = Articles!
BIOSIS Previews is the online version of BIOSIS containing citations to current research, 2000-present.
- Use the “Search” option (not the "Advanced Search" option).
- Use AND: religiosity and pharmacology
- Use OR: religiosity or spirituality.
- Use the “Search History” link to combine searches.
- Use truncation (*).
- Limit searching by language, document type, and literature type.
ATLA Religion Database
This database from the American Theological Library Association contains a collection of major religion and theology journals representing all major religious faiths, denominations, and language groups. Some full text is available.
- Use AND, OR, and NOT to connect concepts.
- Use indexes to find the “magic words”: subjects, publications, etc.
- Use an “*” on the end of your term to pick up variant endings.
General Science is a good place to start looking for articles. This database contains a mixture of popular and scholarly sources. A portion of this database is full text. Searching hints:
- Select “General Science Full Text.”
- If the “All - Smart Search” doesn’t work, try “Keyword” search instead.
- For more relevant articles, try limiting your search to “Feature Article” or “Review Article” under the Document Type menu.
- Use “*” on the end of your term for variant endings, and “?” for variant spellings.
PsycINFO, a database produced by the American Psychological Association, is the premier research tool in psychology. PsycINFO contains citations and summaries of journal articles, book chapters, books, dissertations, and technical reports in the field of psychology.
- Use the basic search mode.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings, and ? to account for variant spellings.
- Boolean/Phrase search mode requires “AND” to break your search terms.
- Limit to English.
- Use the indexes to search for journal titles, subject terms, and author information.
Journals List and Interlibrary Loan
For a complete list of which journals Bailey Library has, check out our Journals List. If we don’t have the journal you need, check UCA’s catalog. If they don’t have it, order your article on interlibrary loan!
Last Modified on 2/01/2010