Tune In, Turn On, and Drop In…to the Library!
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, & Almanacs:
Historical Dictionary of Vietnam R 959.7003 D883h2
Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War R 959.703 En19t (or En19k)
The Vietnam War: An Almanac R 959.704 V678b
The Vietnam Experience R 959.7043 H559v
(Literature, Songs, & Films)
War and American Popular Culture R 973 W195h
American Decades 1960-1969 R 973.911 Am35
The 1960s Counterculture in America R 973.923 H18a
Historical Dictionary of the 1960s R 973.923 H629o
Vietnam War Literature R 959.7043 V678n3
The 1960s (Social & Political Movements) R 016.303484 J137n
Online Catalog (http://baileylib.hendrix.edu)
These subject headings will bring “sure success” when searched in the subject and keyword categories:
Tet Offensive, 1968
Tonkin Gulf Incidents, 1964
United States, history, 1953-1961
United States, history, 1961-1969
United States, history, 1969-
Vietnamese conflict, 1961-1975
Vietnamese conflict, 1961-1975, influence
Vietnamese conflict, 1961-1975, personal narratives
Vietnamese conflict, 1961-1975, protest movements
Vietnamese conflict, 1961-1975 public opinion
Vietnamese conflict, 1961-1975, social aspects
- Keyword: most flexible, most results
- Subject: more restrictive, categories, works like an index, idea farm. Ex.: Vietnamese conflict, 1961-1975, personal narratives, American
- Title: more restrictive, have precise titles, works like an index.
- Modify/Limit: limit by language or location. Ex.: media center
America History and Life (Historical Abstracts = World History)
Contains citations and abstracts to articles and books covering American and Canadian history from 1450 to the present. This database contains no full text, so be sure to check our journals list to see if we have the journal.
- Use the advanced search and, if appropriate, limit to US and Canadian history.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings, and ? to account for variant spellings. Ex.: Vietnam* retrieves Vietnam, Vietnamese, etc. wom?n retrieves woman or women.
- Use the browse feature to locate subjects, names, and places
- Use the browse feature to limit to a time period.
A largely full-text, social sciences database that covers complete runs of scholarly periodicals. MAY NOT BE CURRENT!
- Use the Advanced Search.
- Select whichever disciplines that are relevant to your research, noting that you decide whether or not JSTOR includes citations and links to other content.
- Use the drop-down menu to connect search terms: AND, OR, and NEAR.
- Use quotes to search phrases: “antiwar movement” AND (America or “United States”)
Full text of nearly 200 scholarly journals published by university presses in the humanities and social sciences.
- Use quotations (e.g. "Vietnam war") to search for phrases.
- If desired, combine terms by typing Boolean operators AND, OR, and NOT, or type terms in separate boxes and use the pull-downs at the left of the search boxes.
- Select fields to search from the right-hand pulldowns.
- Use truncation (*) on the end of your term to search for plurals or parts of words.
- If needed, use limits to narrow the search results to specific sets of journals or articles.
Some full-text, covers a wide array of social science periodicals from 1983-present.
- Select “Social Sciences Full Text” and any other relevant database.
- If you get unsatisfactory results with the “Smart Search,” try “Keyword” search.
- Limit your search by article type (feature).
- Use “*” on the end of your term for variant endings, and “?” for variant spellings.
Access the world’s online catalog…use this database to find books that neither we nor UCA has.
- Select “Subject” or “Subject Phrase” from the drop-down menu to narrow your searching.
- Pay attention to subject headings when you look at your results!
- Limit to type of material, language, and audience where appropriate.
- Use the index button to find an alphabetical list of subject headings, and use the subject headings button to browse the list of subject headings based on a term or concept.
- Use “*” on the end of your term to pick up different endings.
- Use quotes to search your terms as a phrase.
- Click on the “Libraries worldwide that own item” to see whether or not UCA owns it (anything Hendrix owns displays this symbol: )
Remember that you can use interlibrary loan to get books and articles that we and UCA don’t have. Check our catalog and Journals List as well as UCA’s catalog, BearCat, and their Journals List first. If you don't find what you need, use our interlibrary loan forms to order your materials.
Web Sites - Heed the Web Caveat!
American Experience: Vietnam (PBS)
The Psycedelic 60s: Literary Tradition and Social Change (Univ. of VA Library)
Recalling the Vietnam War (Institute of International Studies, University of California, Berkeley)
The Vietnam Project (Texas Tech University)
The Vietnam War Declassification Project (Gerald R. Ford Library & Museum)
Last Modified on 9/12/2011