Contains citations and abstracts to articles and books covering world history from 1450 to the present. This database contains some full text, but if you retrieve only a citation, be sure to check the UCA catalog and our Journals List to see if the journal is available locally.
- If you’d like to search both databases, click the “Choose Databases” link and check the appropriate boxes.Use the advanced search for more searching options.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings, and ? to for variant spellings. Ex.: slav* retrieves slavery, slaves, etc. wom?n retrieves woman and women
- Boolean/Phrase search mode requires “AND” to break your search terms.
- Limit by Historical Period and Language.
- Use the browse feature to limit to a time period – this feature only exists in these two databases!
- Click through to see important items in the full record, such as subject headings and abstracts!
- Click on the “Add to Folder” icon to collect citations you want. These will be collected within the “Folder” on the upper right hand side of the window.
- You can save, email, export, and print the citations you’ve collected in your folder.
- If there’s not a link to full text, be sure to check our Journals List and the UCA catalog to see about accessing your article.
- To see different citation styles for a particular article, click the yellow page icon in the line of icons near the top of the screen.
Sample Searches in America History & Life
- Arkansas and (Native American* or Indian*); limit era to 500 – 1200
- revolution* and slav* and women; limit era to 1770 – 1790; limit document type to article.
- Methodis* and Arkansa*
Sample Searches in Historical Abstracts
- central Africa and imperialism; limit to English
- Shanghai and prostitute*; limit to English
- ctton and industrial revolution and (Great Britain or England)
Last Modified on 1/26/2010