Education and Research:
Literature Suppressed on...Grounds
R 363.31 So89Li3
Philosophy of Education: An Encyclopedia
R 370.1 P549c
Key Concepts in the Philosophy of Education
R 370.1 W721k
Encyclopedia of Educational Research
R 370.3 En19a6
World Education Encyclopedia
R 370.3 W893k
Education Research, Methodology & Measurement
R 370.7 Ed83k2
Education Statistics of the United States
R 370.973 Ed83L3
Encyclopedia of American Education
R 370.973 Un3e
Historical Dictionary of Women’s Education in the U.S.
R 371.822 H629e
Encyclopedia of African-American Education
R 371.9796 En19j
Encyclopedia of Early Childhood Education
R 372.2103 En19w
(Bailey Catalog & UCA's Catalog)
- Keyword: most flexible, most results: educat*.
- Subject: more restrictive, categories, works like an index, idea farm.
- Title: more restrictive, have precise titles, works like an index.
World’s largest source of published and unpublished education information, supported by the U.S. Department of Education. Contains annotated references to nonjournal material issued in the monthly Resources in Education (RIE) and to journal articles issued in the monthly Current Index to Journals in Education (CIJE). Links to some full text documents.
- Select “Subject” or “Subject Phrase” from the drop-down menu to narrow your searching.
- Pay attention to subject headings when you look at your results!
- Limit to type of document (EJ or ED), language, and education level phrase where appropriate.
- Use the index button to find an alphabetical list of subject headings, and use the subject headings button to browse the list of subject headings based on a term or concept.
- Use “*” on the end of your term to pick up different endings.
- Use quotes to search your terms as a phrase.
- Click on the “Libraries worldwide that own item” to see whether or not UCA owns it (anything Hendrix owns displays this symbol: )...but remember that you might still find it online through our Journals List!
Education Full Text (1983-present)
Education Full Text contains citations and some full text articles from almost 800 English-language periodicals, yearbooks, and some English-language books relating to education. Coverage includes about 79 journals (37 with full text) not covered by ERIC’s CIJE.
- Use the advanced search for more searching options.
- Use * on the end of your term for variant endings, and ? to account for variant spellings. Ex.: Chin* retrieves China, Chinese, etc. wom?n retrieves woman and women
- Boolean/Phrase search mode requires “AND” to break your search terms.
- Use the indexes to search for journal titles, subject terms, and author information.
A full-text, social sciences database that covers complete runs of scholarly periodicals, excluding the most recent 3-5 years. Secondary source information.
- Use the Advanced Search.
- Select whichever disciplines/journals are relevant to your searching.
- Use the drop-down menu for options to connect search terms – AND, OR, NEAR.
- Use “?” on the end of your term to account for plurals, and “*” to account for variant word endings.
- Use quotes to search phrases. Ex.: “action research” AND literacy
Academic Search Complete
Academic Search Complete provides citations and a lot of full text to articles (both popular and scholarly) in periodicals and newspapers.
- Use AND to separate concepts.
- Use “*” on the end of your terms to pick up word variants.
- Keep an eye on SUBJECT HEADINGS! Reformulate your wording if necessary.
- Limit by date, peer-reviewed, or other options.
UCA & Interlibrary Loan
UCA’s library will become your second home. In it you will find:
- More education journals and books
- ERIC documents
- More friendly librarians!
If UCA doesn’t have what you need, you can always order your article through interlibrary loan. See a librarian for more information.
Last Modified on 3/26/2012