Arriving in the United States

What to expect if you are accepted

  1. If you are accepted, we will send you an International Student Information Form and instructions.  Fill it out completely and return it. 
  2. We will process the information and send you a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Form I-20 A-B/ID (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – for Academic and Language Students). 
  3. If you require a visa, then you should take the USCIS Form I-20 to the nearest U.S. consulate to obtain a student visa.  You must also prove to the consulate that you have the financial resources required for your education and stay in the United States.   

Planning your arrival to the United States

Plan to arrive in the United States no more than 30 days prior to the first day of classes.  When traveling, always hand-carry your important documents.  These should include:

  1. Passport, valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of your expected stay
  2. SEVIS form I-20
  3. Evidence of financial resources
  4. Evidence of student status (recent tuition receipt and/or transcripts)
  5. Receipt for SEVIS fee, Form I-797
  6. Name and contact information for your Designated School Official (DSO)
  7. 24-hour emergency contact number for your school 

Arriving in the United States

  1. When you arrive in the United States, you should receive a Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record) that will include your admission number to the United States. You will need to write your address on this upon entering the United States. 
  2. An Immigration Inspector will write the admission number on your USCIS Form I-20 A-B/ID.  The Immigration Inspector will then send pages one and two of this form, known as I-20 A-B, to your school as a record of your legal admission to the United States.  You are expected to keep pages three and four, known as the I-20 ID.  This document is your proof that you are allowed to study in the United States as an F-1 student.  You should see your Designated School Official (DSO) if you need a replacement copy of your I-20 ID.  You should also keep safe your Form I-94, because it proves that you legally entered the United States.
  3. You should report to your school as soon as possible after arriving in the United States.

Personalize Your Visit

  • Attend a class
  • Take a student-led campus walk
  • Learn more about financial aid
  • Meet with your admission counselor
  • Have lunch in the cafeteria
  • Meet with a professor and/or coach
  • Stay overnight with a student