This academic program is designed to encourage all Hendrix students to embark
on educational adventures in experiential learning. Students are given recognition
on an experiential transcript for completion of approved Odyssey projects. Beginning
with the entering class of 2005, graduation requirements include the completion
of an approved activity in at least three of the following categories.
- Artistic Creativity: Experiences in which students explore
their creative potential in art, music, dance, drama, or creative writing.
- Global Awareness: Experiences in which students immerse
themselves in cultures or environments other than their own and engage in appropriate
opportunities for reflection.
- Professional and Leadership Development: Experiences in
which students apply their intellectual interests through internships, other
opportunities for working alongside professionals on site, or leadership in
community life or professional settings.
- Service to the World: Experiences within and beyond the
Hendrix community in which students are engaged in helping meet the social,
ecological and spiritual needs of our time.
- Undergraduate research: Experiences in which students undertake
significant research projects using the methods of their chosen discipline.
- Special Projects: Experiences in which students extend,
apply, connect or share different ways of knowing (e.g., oral, verbal, tactile,
imaginative, intuitive), often in inter-disciplinary settings.
Other experiential learning opportunities include: