Last Updated: Monday, August 05, 2013
found this helpful.
These instructions are for the Macintosh AirPort wireless utility included with Macintosh OS.
For instructions to connect to the Student Wireless Network for other operating systems visit: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7.
The following setup only has to be performed the first time you connect to the Hendrix Student Wireless Network. You can only follow these instructions while on the Hendrix College campus (within range of the student wireless network).
Items to check before you begin
- Ensure that you have an AirPort 2.0 wireless network card, the AirPort is turned on, and if it has an antenna that it is in the proper position.
- Ensure that you are running the most current version of Apple's AirPort Utility.
Connecting to the Wireless Network
For a larger version of any of the screenshots below, click on the picture.
- Go to Apple Menu --> "System Preferences..."
- Select the "Network" icon. This will open the "Network" window.
- You should now see the "Network" window.
- In the "Location" dropdown box, select "New Location...".
- Name your new location something you will recognize, like "Hendrix Student Wireless", then click "OK".
- You should see your new location in the "Location" dropdown box. Make sure it is selected, then in the "Show" box, select "AirPort".
- Click the "TCP/IP" tab on the "Network" window, and ensure that "Configure IPv4" dropdown box says "Using DHCP".
- Click the "AirPort" tab on the "Network" window, and in the "By default, join" dropdown box, select "Preferred networks".
- The network selection box should appear below the "By default, join" dropdown box. Click the "+" button to add a new network.
- A window will pop up that says "Choose a security type and enter the name of the AirPort network to join with an optional password". In the "Network Name" box, type "hndrxstdnt". This is case-sensitive, so be sure it is in lower case. Then in the "Wireless Security" dropdown box, select "WPA Enterprise".
- Three new dropdown boxes will appear. Enter the following, then Click "OK".
Username: "STUDENTS\" followed by the username you were assigned by IT.
For example: Sally Ann Jones would enter "STUDENTS\jonessa".
Password: enter your password you were assigned
802.1X Configuration: Automatic
- You will return to the "Network" window, and after a moment a new window may pop-up called "Verify Certificate". If it does, click "Show Certificate". If it does not, continue to step 15.
- Ensure that the certificate says EXACTLY the following:
Issued By: Equifax
Expires: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 7:23:28 PM US/Central
this certificate is valid
If the certificate is correct and matches EXACTLY this information, click "Trust Settings" below "Details".
- In the "When using this certificate" dropdown box, select "Always trust", then click "Continue".
- You will again return to the "Network" window. Click "Apply Now" and you should be connected to the Hendrix Student Wireless network. Quit the "System Preferences" application in the Apple Menu.
- When you are connected the AirPort icon on the top right will turn black.